Albion Alley was probably named for the Albion Hotel, built in 1839. The alley ran off Post Office Place, now Little Bourke Street, in the heart of the city between Elizabeth and Swanston streets. The distinctive arched façade of the Albion Hotel once stood on the present site of the David Jones store on Bourke Street, and served as the terminus for Cobb & Co.'s coaches. Albion Lane, as it was known in 1860, housed the businesses of ironmongers, carvers and a boot maker. After the closure of the Albion Hotel in 1912, the site was occupied by Buckley & Nunn's prominent retail emporium. The alley remains a retail location.