Alsop Lane once connected La Trobe to Little Lonsdale streets between William and King streets in the north-west corner of the city. Today it is a dead-end service lane with low pedestrian amenity. Alsop Lane now enjoys greater prestige than it did in 1935, when its only occupant was 'Dee Jay Boxes', a box manufacturing company. In 2008, it serviced the Owen Dixon Commonwealth Law Courts Building, which houses the Melbourne Registry for the High Court of Australia, the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Magistrates Service. Opposite Flagstaff Gardens and directly above Flagstaff Station, it is a prime example of an unseen, utilitarian laneway providing essential access to opulent street-front buildings.