Argus Alley was named for the Melbourne newspaper which circulated from 1846 until 1957. Argus Alley ran north off Flinders Lane between Regent Place and Swanston Street, servicing the Collins Street Argus building from the south. In the 1920s, the previously restricted access lane underwent a redevelopment that produced the Plaza and Regent Cinemas. The lane, along with the Victoria Building and City Club Hotel, was demolished for construction of the City Square on Swanston Street, which was intended to address Melbourne's dire need for open public space. The City Square was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1980.