Barkly Place was once a dead-end laneway leading north from Post Office Place (now Little Bourke Street) between Swanston and Elizabeth streets. It was originally known as Blossom Alley, and was host to the Rising Sun Hotel. In 1895 the alley contained cigar-makers, dealers and warehouses, and the Robertson and Moffatt drapery warehouse. Sidney Myer's draper workshop and factory, producing wares for his Bourke Street store, was located in Barkly Place in 1920. The laneway has since been demolished.