Beaney Lane runs east from Russell Street south of Collins Street. From 1912, it contained one of the three buildings belonging to the Melbourne branch of the Young Women's Christian Association at that time. The YWCA sought to educate and uplift young women in the city, offering social programs, classes, spiritual lessons and safe lodging for visitors and women working in the city. By the 1930s, its membership numbered over 1200. Beaney Lane now provides access to parking behind the Grand Hyatt Melbourne.