Butchers (or Butcher) Lane ran north-south between Little Collins and Bourke streets, parallel with Elizabeth Street. Here in 1860 commission agents ran their businesses alongside saddle makers and the Royal Horse Bazaar. By 1895, the horse bazaar had disappeared, but Butchers Lane continued to service several warehouses and the Commercial Hotel on the corner of Elizabeth and Bourke streets. By 1915, the State Bank occupied all the buildings on the east side of Butchers Lane. In 2008, the Commonwealth Bank Centre and Galleria Plaza occupied the site, and Butchers Lane had ceased to exist.