Capitol Arcade is an indoor walkway through the buildings of Swanston and Little Collins streets, leading west from Swanston Street, opposite the Melbourne Town Hall, to Howey Place. The arcade was named for the Capitol Theatre on Swanston Street, designed by Walter Burley Griffin and his wife Marion Mahony Griffin. The theatre was opened in 1924 and converted to a single-level cinema and shopping arcade in 1965. Architectural writer Robin Boyd described it as 'the best cinema that was ever built or is ever likely to be built'. RMIT University purchased the Capitol Theatre in 1999. The arcade contains shops and cafes.