This lane, unlike most in the city, was part of Robert Hoddle's original design for the city grid in 1848. Running north of Flinders Street between Swanston and Russell Streets, the lane was designed to provide access to St Paul's Church, which was rebuilt as a cathedral in the 1880s. Its name derives from the term describing a building attached to a church in which meetings are held. At this time, the other side of the lane was dominated by the Metropolitan Gas Company. Chapter House Lane is bridged by the elegant arc of St Paul's Chapterhouse.