Commerce Way leads south from Flinders Lane between Elizabeth and Queen streets. From the 1840s to the early twentieth century, it was just one of the multitude of unofficially named back-alleys of the city, leading to a variety of sheds and warehouses. In 1894, the laneway led to a sort of outdoor courtyard containing a store, sheds, some urinals and a sink, and the builders exchange on Flinders Street. In 1920, the laneway hosted several businesses including the United Commercial Travellers Association of Australasia, and the offices of the Australasian Traveller and Australia To-day. By 1915, it exited to Flinders Street via Commerce House, for which it might have been named. In 2008, it served as a loading dock and entrance to a private car park.