Dawson Place was located between Swanston and Russell streets between Bourke and Little Bourke streets. It was a dead-end lane extending east from Swanston Street, doglegging to the north. It no longer exists. Dawson Place was once home to several hotels, which were the major meal providers and dining-out locations in the nineteenth century. The finer restaurants in Melbourne were those of European style, in particular French. La Mascotte Hotel, located on Dawson Place, was one of the most well-known of these establishments in 1892. The less fancy Ballarat Star Hotel and Café was also located on Dawson Place, as was a pianoforte and music warehouse.