Harwood Place is located between Exhibition and Spring streets, extending south from Little Bourke Street, and doglegging to the east to form a dead-end. Harwood Place is located directly opposite the former Gordon House. In 1895, the Marine Store Yards occupied land along the eastern side of the lane, towards Little Bourke Street. In 1915, the National Theatre was situated at the south-eastern end of the lane, fronting Bourke Street. The Theatre has since been demolished. By 1920, the buildings surrounding Harwood Place stood vacant. The lane is predominantly used today for commercial purposes.