Located between King and William streets, St James Street extended from Bourke Street to Little Collins Street. It was named after nearby St James Old Cathedral and St James Buildings and in 1892, contained the Wright and Co. Ltd parcels office, Kendrick Blogg's Chemist, and McCracken and Co. Brewery Cellar. In the second half of the twentieth century, the lane was closed and built over for office space and commercial use.
In 1892, both Blogg's Chemist and McCracken and Co., on separate occasions, were served summonses from the City of Melbourne for 'discharging foul and offensive smelling water' into the street. They had previously already been cautioned by the Inspector of Nuisances.