Located between Lonsdale and Little Lonsdale streets, Surry Place extended west from Spring Street. Situated within the notorious 'Little Lon' district, it was a poor residential area in 1895. In 1928, only four small cottages remained on the site. By the 1950s, this small laneway had become largely industrial, being home to Taubman's Paints and the Commonwealth X-Ray and Radium Laboratory. Today, Surry Place no longer exists, with the site cleared in the second half of the twentieth century for the Commonwealth Government Offices on Spring Street.