(3143, 7 km SE, Stonnington City)
In 1875 politician and real estate agent James Munro bought land in the area, formerly called East Prahran, on which he built Armadale House, named after the Scottish village where he had gone to school. After much debate over routes and allegations of corruption, the railway from Gippsland to Melbourne was built across Munro's land. Trains began running in 1879, by which date subdivision of the surrounding land was well under way. Much of the area around Armadale station was developed at this time. There were some substantial houses, but Armadale generally evolved as an area of modest villas and quiet respectability. The suburb is well known for its High Street restaurants, antique and art shops.