(3183, 7 km SE, Port Phillip City)
Balaclava forms the mainly flat south-eastern section of the former City of St Kilda and is centred on the shopping strip of Carlisle Street. A local railway station opened in 1859, taking its name from Balaclava Road, named after a Crimean War battle (1854). Several street names in the area are similarly named after Crimean War battles and towns (Inkerman, Sebastopol, Raglan). Mainly residential, its streets are a mix of flats and small detached weatherboard houses, unusual in St Kilda. Carlisle Street became a retailing centre for its local Jewish population from the 1930s.