This impressive early bluestone house in Clarendon Street, East Melbourne, was built as the home of the Anglican Bishop, later Archbishop, of Victoria. Initially designed by Newson & Blackburn in 1849, but completed by Robert Russell in 1853, it is notable as an early example of the Italianate domestic style of architecture. Asymmetry, a campanile-like tower and a verandah set the pattern for scores of mansions over the next 40 years. The extensive grounds were used for fairs and garden parties. The main house survives externally intact, and is set within near-original boundaries.