Adjoining Moonee Ponds Creek north of Moreland Road, this locality in Pascoe Vale South was named after labourer Michael Coonan and his wife Ellen, natives of Tipperary.
They purchased a 62.5-acre (25 ha) farm in 1867 but sold it to a developer in 1888, living in their farmhouse on investments. Scattered housing emerged at Coonans Hill about 1920, complete coverage occurring around 1950. Alan Strange, a local farmer, purchased Lyndhurst Hall in East Brunswick, re-erecting it at Walhalla Street in 1860. This prefabricated two-storeyed wooden structure, still extant, was imported in the 1850s. Frank Strange built the adjacent 'Peace Hall' around 1920 to conduct Methodist services.