Beginning in 1878 as Dimelow & Gaylard, drapers and importers, the name of this drapery store in Swan Street, Richmond, was changed to Dimmeys in 1904 when the manufacture of ladies' clothing and manchester was added to the business. The landmark clocktower was built in 1915. Dimmeys became a cut-price, value-for-money shop. In the late 1980s it expanded and acquired Forges department store in Footscray. Sales volumes faltered and in 1996 the Dimmeys chain was sold to a discount-store chain which pledged to return the business to shopping for bargain-hunters. The Richmond store continued trading, with branches later opening in the suburbs, New South Wales and as far north as Townsville.