(3122, 7 km E, Boroondara City)
Originally known as Upper Hawthorn, this mainly residential locality contains the area's chief civic buildings. Its name is attributed to a property known as Glen Ferrie built in 1840 by solicitor Peter Ferrie on the south side of Gardiners Creek. Building expanded rapidly along the main north- south thoroughfare of Glenferrie Road after the Glenferrie station was opened on the railway line between Camberwell and Hawthorn in 1882.
With the opening of the tram line in 1913, Glenferrie Road overtook Burwood Road as Hawthorn's premier shopping and entertainment strip. During the 1930s the Palace Picture Theatre, dance halls such as Silks' Ballroom, and late night shopping ensured that spending Friday nights in Glenferrie Road was a local ritual. The Renaissance-style Hawthorn Town Hall, designed by architect John Beswicke, was opened at the intersection of Burwood and Glenferrie roads in 1890. Other historic properties in the area include the Glenferrie railway complex (1918). The prominence of Glenferrie as a commercial and civic centre continued until 1960 when the opening of Chadstone Shopping Centre challenged the viability of strip retailing in Melbourne's eastern suburbs.
The Glenferrie Oval is the original home of the Hawthorn Football Club and training still takes place there during the Australian Football League season. Prior to the football club's removal to Waverley Park in the 1980s, home games at Glenferrie were celebrated by crowds of drinkers filling the nearby Glenferrie Hotel at half-time. The Glenferrie Oval Grandstand (1938) is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.