Situated on trendy Chapel Street in South Yarra, the Jam Factory was established in 1858 as the Victoria Brewery. It became a jam factory in 1876, changing ownership and names several times over the ensuing 94 years. Despite a downturn in the market around 1950, jam production continued until 1970. Plans were drawn up in 1972 for a shopping mall on the site which opened in 1979 at a cost of over $20 million. After further renovations in the 1990s it now houses an array of restaurants, shops and cinemas.