Alfred Adolph Jonas, the son of Russian immigrants, ran a family fruit shop with his wife Louisa in Smith Street, Collingwood, moving in the late 1920s to rented premises in Collins Street. Around 1936 they purchased their own shop at 89 Collins Street between the Melbourne Mansions (1906) and the Athenaeum Club. Jonas' Fruit Shop was renowned for its magnificent window displays of fruit and its novel gift baskets made up especially for ships and hospitals. It was one of the first fruiterers to provide exotic fruits out of season. Alfred died in 1947 and the business was carried on by his two sons Arthur and Phil until 1958. Together with the Melbourne Mansions, the building was purchased by Consolidated Zinc Pty Ltd for the erection of their new headquarters.