(3782, 47 km E, Yarra Ranges Shire)
Like Emerald, Macclesfield owes is origin to the discovery of gold which was first found locally in Macclesfield Creek in 1865, the area becoming part of the official Emerald Diggings. The area was named after a town in England, possibly by a miner named Stringer. A general store was established in 1872, and a post office in 1891. Around 1900 the area was a focus for eucalyptus distilling following a lead by Joseph Bosisto. Settlement increased following completion of the narrow-gauge railway from Upper Ferntree Gully in 1900, but today it remains essentially an agricultural district of small holdings.