(3159, 42 km SE, Yarra Ranges Shire)
Known for a time as Aura (after a local property), Menzies Creek, in common with Emerald and Macclesfield, was an early gold diggings. The locality took its name from James Menzies, an early settler. First discoveries dated from 1858 and despite the heavily timbered terrain, enough settlers moved to the region to necessitate the government declaring it an official diggings. After a period of considerable shaft-mining activity, prospecting gave way to agriculture. A narrow gauge railway from Upper Ferntree Gully to Gembrook was constructed in 1899-1900. The line continues to run through the township as the Puffing Billy tourist railway.