(3757, 28 km N, Whittlesea City)
Located on the Merri Creek, Merriang took its name from the Parish, surveyed in 1839. Land was mostly divided into tenant farms. Merriang reached its zenith with increased demand for food and provisions during the gold rush. A post office opened (1856-1923), and a daily coach service from Melbourne terminated at the Merriang Hotel (1858-95). The change from farming to grazing required less labour, and settlers left. The last trace of Merriang, a bluestone school and church that closed in 1911, was demolished in 1977. Some recent subdivision into 8-ha hobby farms has increased the population.