(3206, 4 km S, Port Phillip City)
Middle Park is an affluent residential suburb in South Melbourne, south-east of Kerferd Road between Albert Park reserve and the beach. Subdivision of what had been a military reserve and rifle range from 1861 to 1877 produced mostly narrow-frontage lots not fully built over until after the 1890s. The consequent homogeneity of Edwardian house styles underlay the district's local heritage protection adopted in 1987. Middle Park primary school (1887) underwent rebuilding from 1908, becoming a model central school in 1916. The Armstrong Street beach pavilion (1963) superseded earlier sea baths. One base of Melbourne's repertory theatre revival after World War II was a former Armstrong Street film theatre.