Motorcycles appeared in Melbourne in the late 1890s, when safety-bicycles were fitted with engines. Arthur Gaj became the first reported fatality on 5 May 1904 when his speeding motor-tricycle's wheel caught in a tram track on St Kilda Road, throwing him from the machine. The police, military, Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) and others used motorcycles extensively between 1900 and 1930. Nonetheless, the motor car's carrying capacity and comfort proved superior; at the turn of the 21st century motorcycles comprised only 2.2% of Victoria's registered vehicles. 'Gasoline Alley', on Elizabeth Street between Lonsdale and La Trobe streets, remains the enthusiast's first stop to obtain a motorcycle. Many postal carriers now deliver Melbourne's mail using motorcycles.