To the east of Mount Martha on the Mornington Peninsula, Osborne was planned in 1854 as a model seaside town. Government surveyor, H. Permein, laid out three long boulevards, which culminated in a fan-shaped arrangement of streets around a central reserve. Permein named the town after Queen Victoria's summer residence, and some of the streets were named after the Queen's children. The town did not fill up until the 20th century and its traces can be seen in present-day Mount Martha. Much of the original Osborne area remains semi-rural, formerly used for sheep and cattle farming and now partially divided into hobby farms.