The oldest golf club in Australia in continuous existence, the Royal Melbourne Golf Club was founded in May 1891 by a group of influential businessmen. Its first course was in paddocks in Caulfield-East Malvern. Granted 'Royal' status in June 1895, the club soon established itself as the leading golfing institution in the country and organised the first Australian championships. Suburban encroachment forced the club to relocate to Sandringham in 1901. In 1932 it moved again to nearby Black Rock, where judicious land purchases enabled it to build two championship courses. The 18-hole tournament composite course, first used for the Canada Cup in 1957, is considered one of the world's great courses.