The Smorgon family arrived in Australia from the Ukraine in 1927 and settled in Carlton, where Norman Smorgon and his two brothers opened a kosher butcher shop. From wholesaling, exporting and canning meat, the business gradually expanded into paper and cardboard manufacturing, glass, steel, technology, plastics and real estate. In 1995 the family floated their steel operations and sold their remaining business interests. The seven branches of the family are now involved in their own activities. The Smorgons are one of Melbourne's foremost philanthropic families and give generously to hospitals, schools and the arts.