(3927, 70 km SE, Mornington Peninsula Shire)
This beach resort on Westernport was still known as Balnarring East when a number of residential estates were offered for sale in the 1920s. In 1930 J.S. Feehan, owner of Coolart estate, gave some land for a permanent campsite for the Lord Somers camps, which in 1934 gave their name to the town. Held annually, these camps were initiated in 1929 by Lord Somers, Governor of Victoria, to bring together young men from different walks of life. During World War II a Royal Australian Air Force training school was established nearby. Used as an immigrant-holding centre between 1949 and 1957, the school was later converted into a camp for Victorian schoolchildren.