(3775, 47 km NE, Yarra Ranges Shire)
First surveyed by Robert Hoddle's assistant, T.H. Nutt, in 1839 as part of his survey of the Yarra River, Steels Creek was most likely named after an early pioneer, Michael Steel. Before the district was opened up for settlement, it was part of the Gulf Station squatting run. Gold-mining brought more people to the area in the 1860s, with nine families listed as residents by 1868. A second rush occurred in the 1890s. Still predominantly rural, Steels Creek is part of the Yarra Valley wine-growing district.