(3919, 70 km SE, Mornington Peninsula Shire)
Situated on Westernport, Stony Point was named in a survey in 1865. Fears about the vulnerability of Westernport to a foreign invasion in the 1880s led the Victorian Minister of Defence to propose the construction of a railway line to transport troops rapidly from Melbourne in the event of an emergency. The line connecting Frankston to Stony Point was finished in 1889. Serving as a terminus for ferry services to French Island and, from the 1930s, Cowes on Phillip Island, Stony Point is also the base for the Westernport Ports and Harbour Authority.