(3158, 33 km E, Yarra Ranges Shire)
West of Belgrave in the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, Upwey was named by the local Tullidge family who had migrated from Upwey on the River Wey in England. Originally the district was known as Mast Gully - in 1850 several masts had been cut in the vicinity for the barque Admiral. Selectors moved in during the 1870s. Later settlement increased the population, which became the first in the hills to organise its own fire brigade, formed in 1918.