The Victoria Club was founded in 1880 by bookmakers who broke away from Tattersalls Subscription Betting Rooms. At the club the card was called and bets were settled. The Victoria flourished and by 1926 had purchased quarters in Queen Street where it stayed for about 60 years. In 1976 its settling day was brutally disturbed by the Great Bookie Robbery. The club sold its Queen Street quarters and moved to the Rialto Towers where, since 1987, it has greatly expanded its membership, with bookmakers now a minority, and increased its comforts, such as a well-appointed restaurant.