(3981, 73 km SE, Cardinia Shire)
From the Aboriginal 'to walk about', Yannathan is a dairying district located on the fringe of the Koo Wee Rup Swamp, and settled in the 1880s. Yannathan Primary School opened in 1882. The area was drained as part of the swamp drainage program. Yannathan was part of the Shire of Buln Buln until 1893 when residents successfully petitioned for annexation to Shire of Cranbourne due to a rates dispute. After the railway line to Korumburra opened in 1922, daily milk trains took produce to Dandenong and other centres. The train line closed in 1950 and the area remains predominantly rural.