(3091, 23 km N, Nillumbik Shire)
In the south-west of the Diamond Valley, Yarrambat was originally known as Tanck's Corner after Frederick Tanck, one of the first selectors in the district in the 1870s. Known as Hilton from 1920, in 1928 it was renamed Yarrambat, an Aboriginal word for high hills and pleasant views. Before selectors began to plant orchards and other crops here, Chinese miners had searched for gold at Smuggler's Gully on the Plenty River. This site became popular again during the 1890s depression when unemployed men were paid by the government to fossick for gold. Goldmining continued until the 1980s when the Golden King Mine, the last of a succession of quartz mines and crushing operations, finally closed down. A school was opened to serve the children of local selectors in 1878, but only in the 1940s were other local community amenities, such as a fire station and hall, built. Fruit-growing and market gardens have been staple industries at Yarrambat which is still a predominantly rural district.