(3770, 40 km NE, Yarra Ranges Shire)
The Ryrie brothers brought cattle down from Monaro in 1837 and settled on the lush pastures at Yering which, like many places in the Yarra Valley, bears an Aboriginal name. In the early years the land was put to use as vineyards as well as pasture, and Yering Station was purchased by the de Castella family in 1850. As Chateau Yering, the property is listed on the Victorian Heritage register. This important wine-making region enjoys the benefits of the burgeoning tourist industry.