Baptist Place, previously Baptist Lane, leads south off Little Collins Street between Russell and Swanston streets. The laneway was probably named after the heritage-listed Baptist chapel on Collins Street, to which Baptist Place once led. The brick chapel was designed by John Gill and built in 1846, and its Corinthian portico, designed by Reed and Barnes, was added in 1862. During the Depression, the church embarked on a building program to produce revenue and jobs for the community. In 1874, the lane also contained a fire brigade station and Scotts School. In 2008, Baptist Place contained a café, the Oakford-on-Collins Hotel, a free Health Centre and accommodation for the homeless. A community mural echoed its earlier philanthropic functions.