Builders Alley was located off Little Collins Street between Elizabeth and Queen streets, near Butchers Lane. It may have acquired its name from the nearby Galvanised Iron Yard, which no doubt attracted construction workers. In 1860, Builder's Alley was home to a nightman, tailoress, and coach and harness plater. The alley was predominantly used for warehouses in 1895, although it also serviced the Saracen's Head Hotel on Bourke Street. By 1920, several manufacturing businesses were located in the alley. The alley had been demolished by the mid twentieth century.