Evans Lane is located between Russell and Exhibition streets, extending north from Little Lonsdale Street. Originally it ran directly through to La Trobe Street, but today it doglegs to the west, connecting with Exploration Lane. The lane has been primarily used for commercial purposes, although the nature of these have changed over the years. In 1860, Evans Lane was home to baker and grocer Thomas H. Miers. It was also the location of government and administration buildings at numbers 1-5, which are now part of the Heritage Inventory.
In 1914 a report was made to the Police Department by Chinese residents of Bennetts Lane regarding a group of 'undesirable persons...in the habit of congregating' in Evans Lane, Bennetts Lane and Exploration Lane. A request was made for additional lighting to prevent future robberies and assaults, and to create a safer environment for the lane's inhabitants.