Geddes Lane is located between King and William streets, extending north from Flinders Lane. Geddes Lane was named for William Geddes, an engineer and machinist who operated his business from premises on Collins Street. In 1911, a request was made by E. Joske to the Melbourne City Council for information on Geddes Lane and the adjacent Robbs Lane. According to this file, allotments on Geddes Lane were created under the 1856 Streets, Lanes and Alleys Act. Today Geddes Lane is host to several popular live-music venues and bars, indicative of the current trend of popular nightspots located in Melbourne's laneways.