Gresham Street is located between King and William streets, extending from Bourke Street through to Little Bourke Street. Gresham Street was formed in the late 1880s as a private lane, and hence was unnamed until 1933. Gresham Street was located in a block which in 1895 contained a significant number of warehouses. These were located on the western side, whilst a timber yard occupied the area on the east. On the north-west side of the lane was an engineering and blacksmiths workshop.