Harper Lane is located between William and Queen streets, just east of Market Street. It is a dead-end lane extending north from Flinders Lane. Harper Lane was named for Robert Harper, a merchant and Victorian and later Federal MP who had arrived in Melbourne in 1856. Harper first worked for J.F. McKenzie & Co., later establishing his own tea, coffee, spice, flour and oatmeal business in Flinders Lane.