Hosier Lane is located between Swanston and Russell streets, extending from Flinders Street through to Flinders Lane. Rutledge Lane connects in a C shape to the west of Hosier Lane.
Businesses located in Hosier lane in 1920 were quite diverse. These included an organ manufacturer, a warehouse for a men's clothing company, and a costume manufacturer. Hosier Lane was located in the clothing manufacturing district at this time. The nearby Higson and Oliver Lanes also had warehouses that were predominantly used by businesses involved in the manufacturing of clothes.
Two properties on Hosier Lane, used for commercial and domestic purposes, are listed on the Victorian Heritage Inventory. These are the buildings located at numbers 3-5 and 7-9.
Hosier Lane today is a brightly lit lane well known for its quirky bars and the stencil graffiti art which adorns the lane's brick walls. The artwork decorating the walls near number 1 Hosier Lane and near Misty Place at number 3-5 Hosier Lane have been approved by the City of Melbourne as registered street artwork.