Howitt Lane is located between Exhibition and Spring streets, extending north from Flinders Lane. It is directly opposite Throssell Lane on Flinders Lane. The lane was originally named Booth Lane, however after 1905 the name was changed to Howitt Lane. The lane is named after Dr Godfrey Howitt, whose garden and prefabricated wooden cottage were located at the eastern end of Collins Street from the 1840s. In 1895 huge vacant lots existed on either side of Howitt Lane.