Kitz Lane is located off Little Collins Street between William and Queen streets. The lane was named after Louis Kitz, a Swiss wine merchant who had stores in Bourke and Collins streets as well as in Geelong. In 1911, Kitz Lane was taken over and maintained by the Melbourne City Council. In 1920, there was a bulk store, a manufacturer of stationary and a printer in Kitz Lane. By 1950, there was only a printer in the lane.