Market Lane was located between Little Bourke and Bourke streets. In 1860, the Ebenezer Baptist Chapel was located in Market Lane. The lane became gas lit by the 1860s and the nearby Eastern Market provided fresh produce and lively entertainment on Saturday nights. By 1891, Market Lane was thriving with business: the Commercial Bank of Australia, the Victorian skittle saloon and Yeoman's photographic laboratory were located here. Additionally, the lane boasted the Gaiety Hotel, several cabinet makers, clothing and woodworking firms, Anglers & Son scientific instrument makers, and the Cox Brothers furniture store.