Mill Place runs south off Flinders Lane between Queen and Elizabeth streets. Domestic and commercial occupation of the place dates from 1839. In 1891, Mill Place was a thriving area of manufacturing activity. It was home to the Flemington Meat Preserving Company, soap and candle manufacturers and lime, coal and cement merchants. There were also several tea and clothing merchants located in Mill Place.