Located between Swanston and Russell streets, Shilling Lane extends north from Lonsdale Street. It is situated on the site of the old Queen Victoria Hospital for Women and Children, opened in 1896 and the first hospital in Australia that was 'For Women, By Women'. Today, the site is home to the QV shopping complex. Shilling Lane commemorates the history of this site, particularly the Queen Victoria Shilling Fund that was established in 1897. In just two years, Victorian women had given 63,250 shillings, which helped fund a building in Little Lonsdale Street.