Located between William and Queen streets and extending south from Little Bourke Street, Thomson Street was formed between 1915 and 1935 on the site of the former Metropolitan Mission Throat Hospital. The lane was named after brassfounders and coppersmiths Thomson & Co., who operated in Little Bourke Street c1880-1950.
- 'Central Melbourne: Lanes S-Z', in Amendment C105 - CBD Laneways Review, City of Melbourne, 2007, http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cfm?top=195&pg=3065&bp=1902&coll=8. Details
- Bate, Weston, Essential but unplanned: The story of Melbourne's lanes, State Library of Victoria and the City of Melbourne, Melbourne, 1994. Details